Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

What's in a name?

What's in a name? This can be one of those 'hot-topics', especially in families. I remember back when my boys were young and I remarried. I was thrilled the first time that I heard them refer to my husband as 'Dad'. It felt as though we had crossed some giant hurdle into 'normal' and with the bestowing of this endearing title, we were on our way to being a family. I'm sure that my ex-husband wouldn't have appreciated this mile-marker in the same way that I did. Just as I am quite sure at that point in my life I would have washed out the mouth of any of my children who dared to call another woman- Mom.

Now, picture me sitting here 10 years later with a cartoon lightbulb over my head. Ding! We have a winner!

**Thanks Bec'. Bet you didnt even know that you were so inspirational in our little chat tonight. Bec is my long time friend, personal advisor and conscience as well as secret keeper extraordinaire**

Back to the point...

I like to think that I am a fairly intellegent woman who keeps her finger on the pulse of the important things in life. However, I missed this one by a mile. Was it ever really important as to what my boys called my husband? Dad? Curt? Sir? Hey you? Ok, maybe not 'hey you'. The point is that it never mattered what they called him. What mattered is what they thought of him and he of them.

How many times have we turned away from a book on the shelf because the title didnt sound interesting? It doesnt matter what its called. The important thing is what it is all about. Its what's between the covers or in the case, behind the name that truly matters.

Today, I watch the boys interact with him and know that while their relationship isnt perfect, it's exactly what I want it to be. What it is. They have a relationship fileld with love, respect, tradition, kindness and a kinship that goes far beyond a name or a title.

So whether you are Mom, Ma'am, Mrs Hayden's Mom, Dad, Curt, Grandpa, Granny or even BiBi to someone who loves you...it's all good. Love isn't in the name, it's in the heart.

1 comment:

  1. aawww ♥
    I thought it was important.. deciding what I wanted to be called by my grandchildren, but you are right... it's not the name, it's what the name is wrapped around that counts.

    ReplyDelete